Dogs that come into contact with foxtails stand a good chance of having one of these insidious plant pieces work its way into the body, especially between toes. The result can be a very sick dog. The degree of illness depends on the area of the body where the foxtail entered and the amount of damage it has caused. Foxtails can enter the nasal passages, eyes, ears and mouth, and can work their way into the dog’s lungs, along the backbone and into many other locations throughout the body.
Outside cats can be at risk as well, but less so since cats are such fastidious groomers and are adept at removing the grass awns before they penetrate and cause problems. The most common place foxtails cause problems in cats is eyes, most likely because this is one area they cannot groom. READ MORE